Monday, April 21, 2008

Two Showers and No Lights
April 21, 2008

The heat is on again! Unfortunately the heat wave is putting more strain on Dhaka's power system than the grid can handle; the result is 8-9 blackouts a day! The power goes off so often now that my UPS (uninterrupted power supply) just stops working after the third outage because it doesn't have enough time to recharge itself.

Needless to say, the lack of power makes it extremely difficult to get work done. Oh how I miss my American Club membership! I used to go swimming when the power went out. Not only was it a great way to cool off, but it was also my only form of exercise. (Dhaka streets are not conducive to walking...)

On the bright side (irony intended), I have a good excuse to catch up on my reading. Right now I am reading an excellent book called The Golden Age by Tahmima Anam. It is a novel set during the Bangladeshi War of Independence in 1971. The book is very well written and definitely gives a good flavor of Bangladeshi life. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about Bangladesh...

Well I had better go before the power cuts out again!

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:07:00 AM, Blogger Donny said...

i'll trade your day without power for my 4 days without water

 
At Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:48:00 PM, Blogger Kristin Boekhoff said...

Four days without water! That is just terrible! Is it your whole neighborhood or just your house?

 
At Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:21:00 PM, Blogger Donny said...

it was just our house for awhile. but i've also been told by my landlord that all of Dhaka is in a water crisis.
so after 2.5 days, the water was back, but they're only pumping it at certain times. but since i stay out working all day until 10 pm, i never got any water. i'd come home and it'd be all gone. well now i know the water times are 9am and 1pm. plus if i ever need it, my landlord has a barrel in his flat for emergencies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home