Friday, February 08, 2008

On the Buriganga
February 8, 2008

A few days ago I took a river trip on the Buriganga River which is in the southern part of Dhaka. It sounded like such a charming, romantic idea, but the actual boat ride was anything but. The water is extremely polluted (it could give the East River in NY a run for its money!) and the river banks are lined with garbage. Aside from it being terribly unsightly and a horrible health hazard to the animals who eat it and the small children who play in it, it emanates an unbelievably nasty odor.

Unfortunately garbage like this is very common in Bangladesh. People just throw their trash anywhere (out the windows of buses, into the river, in the middle of the street...) It makes me sick and angry whenever I see it. I have often stopped to yell at people or pick up their trash after them.

I am hoping that the environmental education program that I intend to create as part of my resorts will help raise environmental awareness and encourage people to recycle (or at least use trash bins!) in the areas where I develop.

Natasha in the Boat
A photo of my friend Natasha as we are leaving the main dock.


Cows Eating Garbage

Cows munching away at the enormous pile of garbage that lines the Buriganga River.



Women in Garbage
I am REALLY hoping these women are recycling this plastic.


Children in Garbage
There were lots of little kids playing in the garbage and water.


More Garbage
The garbage is EVERYWHERE. The entire riverbank was covered with it.


1 Comments:

At Monday, February 18, 2008 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Bhaboghure Jhor said...

This is our Dhaka City :-( And most alarming thing is we don’t have any single step against these and we are waiting for GODOT!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home